Most Faculty of Extension courses are open to all adult learners.
If a course has prerequisites or you must apply to the program as a condition of admission into a course, you will be informed early in the registration process.
Can I take a course even if I’m not interested in enrolling in a program?
- Yes, we call these registrants our 'General Studies' students
Are international students able to register?
- Yes, Extension courses and programs are open to all international students provided you meet the course prerequisites.
- You may also be interested in our English Language programs offerings:
– Full-time ESL studies
– English language training for university admission
– Preparing for graduate studies
– Testing services: iELTS, TOEFL iBT, and more...
– Part-time English classes
Our courses can be taken ‘general studies,’ as 'audit' or ‘for Certificate/Designation/Citation credit’:
Option 1: Take a course as a ‘general studies’ student
- You will participate in assignments and earn a grade that reflects your efforts and skill level
- These courses can later be applied to completion of the program
- Grades earned have no bearing on the University of Alberta GPA
Option 2: Audit a course
- No assignments or grades
- Same tuition fee as non-audit
- Further details & application form »
Option 3: Take courses for Citation/Designation/Citation credit
- Enrol in one of over 30 programs and complete courses to fulfill the core and elective requirements.